Friday, March 3, 2017
Kelp and nori soup.
Kelp is also known as kombu, or 海带.
Nori is the type of seaweed used to wrap sushi. The type I used today is the snack pack nori.
I was curious about this soup found in a recipe book I have. And it's a great way to use up nori snacks that have turned limp in our humid weather.
Kelp and Nori SoupRef: Soups for Expelling Dampness and Heat by Chiu Sang
30 slices of seasoned nori snack
200gm lean pork
3 slices of ginger (15gm)
1 Tbsp light soy sauce
1L + 500ml water
1. Put lean pork, ginger and 1L water into a pot and bring to boil. Let it simmer for 30 minutes. Fish out the lean pork and leave to cool. Shred it. Keep the broth.
2. Rinse and soak the kelp in 500ml water until soft. Cut kelp into strips. Keep the soaking water.
3. Bring the broth and kelp soaking water to a boil. Put in kelp and simmer for about 10 minutes.
4. Add in seasoned nori and shredded pork and let it come back to a boil.
5. Season with salt and light soy sauce. Serve.