New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, November 24, 2014

Rustic Apple Cake



Lydia walloped half of this cake by herself. A 5-year old eating half an 8 inch cake!!!! Not in 1 sitting, but 2. One quarter during tea, another quarter for supper! GAWD! But she didn’t eat dinner. But still….. I allowed her, because.. it’s a not a sinful cake. I made this cake 2 years ago, and now she's 7.

Anne, she really loved this cake. Really did.



I was itching to eat some cake, and lately have been thinking to clear up my stocks in the kitchen, I must cake some apple cake because the apples have been sitting in the fridge for more than 2 months. Then I remember Anne posted an apple cake that looks simple enough to be whipped up for an instant fix. When I read through……. I don’t have sour cream!!!!

But…. I have cream and lemon. And it was just nice that this cake called for lemon zest, so in order not to waste the fruit, I took some lemon juice and soured my cream, just like how one will make soured milk to substitute buttermilk. Indeed it turned thick, very thick.


But if you don’t have cream on hand, and would prefer to use plain yogurt. I suggest you substitute the olive oil with melted butter instead, to give it a stronger dairy fragrance. And increase the butter to 4 tbsp (57gm) to make up for the lower fat content in yogurt.


Rustic Apple Cake

Source: Simply Anne’s.
Recipe increased and slightly modified to fit an 8 inch round pan.

Batter
100gm whipping cream
1 Tbsp lemon juice

75gm plain flour
75gm cake flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
¾ tsp baking soda

100gm sugar
1 Tbsp lemon zest
2 eggs (instead of 1.5 eggs)
3 Tbsp olive oil
Pinch of salt

300gm apples (I used a mixture of red and  green)

Topping
30gm Muscovado sugar
25gm butter, cut small

1. Preheat oven to 180C. Prepare a 8 inch pan with removable base. Line the base and grease the sides.
2. Sour the whipping cream with lemon juice. Peel and dice 2/3 of the apple. Slice 1/3 of the apple
3. Sift plain flour, cake flour, baking soda and baking powder together. Add in salt and mix.
4. In another bowl, rub sugar with lemon zest. Add in eggs and beat until creamy. Mix with soured cream and olive oil.
5. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture. Mix until just moistened. Add in diced apples and mix.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Top with sliced apples.
7. Sprinkle with some muscovado sugar and top with cut butter.
8. Bake for around 50 to 60 minutes or until done.






16 comments:

  1. And now you make me craving for this....looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good for a 2 year old cake LOL! It must be very good for Lydia to eat half a cake and she was only 5. If that is the case I would probably wallop the whole cake as I love apple cake :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi :) if i only have plain flour, do i need to change anything in the recipe? i dunno what is cake flour ~:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Therina,
    Cake flour is a finer flour made from wheat as well. It is also known as superfine flour. If you can't get either cake or superfine, it's alright to just use plain flour for the batter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shai,
    personally I don't like the taste of almond extract, but if you like it, you can put if you like

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are allergic to dairy; is it possible to substitute the cream with coconut cream?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not have whipping cream. Is canned nestle cream suitable? I do not have oven so intend to use air fryer to bake. Shld I use the same temperature of 180? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phyllis,
    You can use canned cream.
    As for the air fryer, I am not too sure but whenever I bake with the fan on, I lower the temp by 20C

    ReplyDelete
  9. I' ve never thought simple ingredients could form such a wonderful cake...tried and loved by everyone..thank you so much...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah Raman,
    Glad everyone liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hai Wendy, can I subtitute apple with peach or nectarine? Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Hehe,
    Should be nice too, but I'm not sure if you'll like cinnamon with them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for repplying so fast. I really love your blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can this be made into cupcakes? If so, do I use the same temperature and how long do I bake them for?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Christine Leong,
    They can be turned into muffins. Bake at the same temperature for around 20-25 minutes. Always test with a toothpick to be sure it is fully cooked.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...