New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, June 2, 2014

Bo La Lot, Vietnamese Beef Rolls with Wild Betel Leaf - Indochina AFF Bò # 1




For this month's Asian Food Fest, it's the month of Vietnamese, Laotian and Cambodian food, grouped under Indochina. For more information, hop over to Kelly's blog, this month's host.

Bò lá lốt is a popular Vietnamese dish that is not served in the Vietnamese restaurants here in Malaysia.
It's one of the dishes in "7 course of beef", served usually during weddings.

In some countries where wild betel is not available, grape leaves are used to wrap these, but it may not have the same fragrance.
In Malaysia, wild betel is abundant and is used in the local cuisine and is locally known as daun kaduk.




And when I saw this dish, I knew I have to try and make it, if not I will never know how it taste, as it is not found in the Vietnamese restaurants that I dine in. I have the leaves in my garden, and it's just perfect!

At first I was a bit confused as some recipes called for curry powder. I wasn't very sure about it and so I asked my Facebook friends of Vietnamese origin. All told me that there isn't any curry powder whether it is north, south or central Vietnam, and they asked me to put in 5 spice powder.


I was worried my hubby won't eat it, as he doesn't eat vegetables with 'smell'. Luckily the smell wasn't strong, but when it cooled down, it became stronger, but still acceptable to him. When my beef rolls were hot, they tasted absolutely delicious, but turned dry when they cooled down. I blame it on the lean beef. Which is why some recipes call for additional pork fat. Hmm.. I do believe that will make it much better, hahaha!


Bò lá lốt
by WendyinKK

250gm minced beef
1/3 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp 5 spice powder
1/2 Tbsp fish sauce
2 heaped Tbsp sliced spring onions
1 Tbsp finely minced lemongrass
1 tsp finely minced garlic
15-20 pcs of wild betel/daun kaduk

1. Wash the wild betel leaves, shake the excess water off and lay them out on a wire grid, lay them under the fan as you marinate the filling.
2. Mix the minced beef with all the other ingredients and mix it until well combined.
3. Place shiny side of leave down, with the pointy tip facing you. Put some filling onto it and roll up.
4. Use a toothpick and prick a small hole. Insert the stem into it. Repeat until all filling is used up.
5. Brush each roll with oil and grill them until done. Or you can cook these rolls on a hot pan. (place the seam side down when you cook with your preferred way)

To have a better understanding on how to roll, watch Helen's video




I tried wrapping them with the folded sides method, because some of the leaves were rather big

I am submitting this to Asian Food Fest Indochina Month

1 comment:

  1. Interesting! I like how you always come up with some interesting recipes. Got to try this one day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...