New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Friday, September 20, 2013

Lydia's 6th Birthday Party



Around 3 weeks back, I organized a small party for Lydia who turned 6. Never before have I done a kid's party that is for kids. Well, I've done her other parties, but it was adult's majority, big majority. So the food had the adults in mind, more. This time, it was for 13 kids (5 didn't come), and a few adults.

I raced for days to clean up the house properly. I am quite a hoarder and it takes time for me to discard things, so this was a good push for me. And tried to bake some stuff that can be done in advance. So many things came to me that week, and each hour was sooo precious.




5 kids didn't make it. All are Lydia's besties

Having no helper to help out, I was all on my own. Cooking and baking doesn't take much time, but the aftermath, takes quite long to clear up each time. And the kitchen must look presentable too, when the guests arrive.

We made our own paper chain streamers, DIY invitation cards and Lyanne blew up most of the balloons. It was fun for them to be organizing this. I actually want them to try organizing a simple event, it's a good learning experience. I think these kids will have more and more ideas for their future parties, of which is good. I don't want them to sit and wait for things to happen.

I didn't rent chairs or tables for the kids to sit and eat, but wrapped up a coffee table and 2 small writing desk for them. I even made makeshift stools because I don't have enough stools.

The french toasts were the hottest item of the night, surprisingly. The kids just loved them



The menu for the day was

Spiralli with tomato meat sauce (half the kids didn't like the Spiralli :(  )
Blanched broccoli (the kids finished them)
Hard boiled eggs, shaped with a mould
Indonesian Chicken Boxings
Garden Salad with sesame dressing
Bear shaped French Toast (most popular that day!)

Chocolate Chunk Brownies
Mango Choux Dogs (LOL, imagine hotdogs)
Strawberry Jelly (I made a shortcut version with strawberry tea, but you can try the proper recipe with real fruit)
Fresh Cherries
Orange Cordial

The menu seemed simple...... not if you need to cook and keep everything looking clean after that.

Made from cake boards and wrapped food cans

My girl asked for a musical note cake, and so.. I made her a double tiered cake, vertical piano keys on the bottom with grape notes on top. It took me 8 hours to get this cake done the day before the party. Just this cake alone, 8 hours!

It was quite a rush as I finished the deco after the guests arrived. Blame it on the black paper. I wanted to get it days earlier...but got delayed until the last day of which I am super busy.
Lydia said, my notes aren't complete as the minim rest and crochet rest aren't made! Grrrrrr!

black keys that were too long.


Inside the cake was this pastel rainbow cake with Buttercream. The cake was put out for more than 1.5 hours before cutting, for display purpose (LOL), and it was at room temperature. My guests found the cake slightly too sweet for them and I do have to agree with them. But... the next day, when the cake was properly chilled again, and we ate it when it was fridge cold, it didn't taste that sweet, but just right. Cold cakes are weirdly less sweet. I won't be including the recipe in this post. Still procrastinating...



I only cut the upper tier that day and and the lower tier kept, as everybody was very full.
My husband and kids walloped the bottom tier over the next 2 days and buttercream cakes were never enough in the house.

Actually I also made some 'thank you cakes' for my guests to bring home. I forgot to take pics of them.
Oh never mind.

27 comments:

  1. the cake is a beauty!! And the inside layers look really gorgeous. Well done you. All that food and layout, i wundt mind being 6 again. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Supermom in KK ! Well balanced food ! Great planning ! Beautiful kids !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Belated Birthday to Lydia! Mama did a very great job, very pretty cake, love the creativity! Lydia's comment on missing notes was really cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh....wish Aunty Mel is invited to join this party! Ok....ok....Aunty Mel here wish Lydia, Happy Birthday and may you grow up to be a cheerful and a good girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Lydia, happy birthday!
    [whisper: u hav a superb mum, lol!]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! You are so great! I like the colour of the cake is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The black keys aren't too long, instead they are cute in that size! :) crotchet rest is difficult to make, I think that your cake is really perfect already. Love it so much! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wendy, I salute you! I know how tiring and hectic all this cooking and cleaning business is. Everything you prepared is all tip top! I am surprised that the kids actually finished the blanched broccoli :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wendy, you are one very very capable mummy! Your cake looks superb, I love the sweet lovely colours. Bet the kids had a swell time and happy belated birthday to sweet Lydia.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous cakes and party - your kids are petty lucky who had a mom and that are creative and a good baker and cook. Happy Belated Birthday to Lydia. Kids grown up fast - in a blink of the eyes they were be adult... enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very creative mommy. Good Job! The cake and the DIY deco is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy bday to Lydia!
    I read your posting I cant imagine the trouble you went thru in the preparation
    I salute u, Wendy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are such a super mummy, can bake and cook well, your kids are really fortunate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday little girl Lydia:) so lucky ada mama buatkan party macam tu...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Wendy,

    Can you share the recipe for your rainbow cake? My daughter has been asking for rainbow cake for her birthday, and she really likes the latest cake that you just posted.

    ReplyDelete
  16. SP,
    Like how I said in the post, the cake was a bit too sweet, there are some reasons why I can't reduce the sugar.
    U can use any sponge cake recipe you like and add colouring only

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday, Lydia..
    seem mommy having fun on the kitchen too much .. look at those dishes on the table .. so yummy, I don't mind to invite myself there..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful cake and looks like a very well planned party despite all the rush work you described.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely spread.... Happy belated birthday to little sweetie Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you everybody for the kind words and wishes for my girl.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wendy, happy belated birthday to Lydia!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the pastel colour of the cake layers.. You have to share the recipe! I would love to make it for my girls too on their birthday.
    Happy birthday to Lydia....

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Wendy,
    The cake looks beautiful....Please put up the recipe.
    I don't mind its a lil sweet :)
    Thank you....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wendy

    Do you need to prepare and bake the cake layer by layer?
    Can I just prepare the cake according to sponge cake recipe, add in the different colours, and bake one after another? My oven is small, and can only fit one mold at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wendy

    Can you also help to explain the difference to coat the cake with butter cream vs non dairy whipping cream vs dairy whipping cream? which type can last longer under hot weather?

    Thanks for your advice.

    ReplyDelete
  26. SP,
    I made the batter 5 times, with 5 different colours, as these were sponge, they will deflate while waiting.
    The least stable willl be dairy cream and the most stable butter cream. I personally don't like non dairy but they can withstand tropical room temp, but just don't overwhip, else they taste rubbery

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...