New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Kumquat Roasted Pork Belly - Kumquats #2


My son, my 19M son, saw the belly coming out from the oven. He then rubbed his belly and said yum yum yum. Througout dinner, he kept on pointing to this dish and ate quite a few pieces.
Reuben loves it!

I roasted this when he was napping but before I was done, he was awake! Was so worried when I was transporting it to and from the table to baste and oven to roast.

I didn't use Chinese wine to marinate this, instead I went with Rum. I like the smell of rum and how it mingles well with fruits... seriously smelling good while baking. The rum was a nice change.




After I shot these pictures, I took a picture of this dish using my phone and and sent it to my hubby.
He came home from work in high spirits saying he is famished and needs to eat right away!

See me slicing the pork and asked me for one piece. One bite and he kept quiet.

Later on, I didn't see him taking much of this. He still ate, just not that excited, and I asked him why?
He said, I wrecked the Char Siew by putting lemon sauce.
I told him, this is not char siew!  LOL.

Men!

The pork looks charred but they don't taste bitter, I like it this way, and it's not an excuse.




Kumquat Roasted Pork Belly
Recipe source: WendyinKK

400gm skinless pork belly
2/3tsp salt
1/4 tsp 5-spice powder
1 tsp sugar
Generous dash of pepper
1 Tbsp rum
2-3 slices of ginger
100gm kumquats
50gm sugar

1. Marinate the pork belly with salt, %-spice powder, sugar, pepper and rum for a few hours.
2. Half kumquats and remove seeds. Cut into smaller pieces.
3. Put kumquats, ginger and sugar into a small saucepan, add enough water to cover and let it simmer for about 30 minutes until the kumquats look translucent. Blend everything until fine and cook until it forms a thick sauce.
4. Remove belly from fridge and grill in 220C for 15 minutes, turning once halfway.
5. Remove from oven and flip the belly. Brush a thick layer of kumquat sauce over(surface facing up only, plus the sides) and let it grill for 10 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and flip the belly. Brush more sauce over (this surface was without sauce earlier) and then grill for another 10 minutes.
7. Dab on more sauce and continue to grill until the colour you like (I like mine slightly charred on the sides)



put more sauce than what I showed!

I am submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013 hosted by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover


6 comments:

  1. MMmm I think i will like the taste. will try this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muah! Muah! Muah! Wendy, I came over straight away when I saw this on my sidebar. I actually like the charred parts, ada oommph! I must go look for kumquats this weekend. Are you submitting this to Sonia's CNY Delights?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi , thanks for sharing the recipe . BTW , what is kumquat in chinese ? from Kit Wai

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wendy... This is not the usual roast pork belly... Interesting though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. small kucing,
    Let me know how it goes :)


    Phong Hong,
    Yes, earlier forgot to insert leh.. hehe


    Kit Wai,
    Translated as "Gold Lime"


    Chef and sommelier,
    LOL, some whacky idea of mine

    ReplyDelete
  6. wendy , thanks for your reply .
    have a nice day !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...