New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Sesame Orange Shrimp - Prawns Week # 2




For this year's Chinese New Year, my FIL went all the way to the coastal areas to get seafood.
He bought few large fishes, 2 kg of prawns, crabmeat and lots of other stuff. We took one kg of the prawns and used it to prepare a dish for the reunion dinner. We found that the prawns to be.... not very fresh.

So, later on, in order to clean up the balance of prawns, I decided to cook them up without shells. This way, it could be easily finished up. 1 kg of pure prawn meat, it's just like eating popcorn. And you know what, this pack of prawns tasted fresh instead!!!! LOL.

We had a good laugh about it.


I saw this recipe on Martha Stewart's even before CNY, but I sort of forgot about it after bookmarking.
I've made orange chicken before(when I was a teen) but never eaten orange prawns before, but when I go through the recipe, I find the gravy lacking in flavour dimensions.  So I took the idea but did it my way to suit my preference.

The title's shrimp, but I refered to them in this post as prawns. Here, shrimp is mostly used for small prawns, and prawns are big shrimps, LOL, get the idea? I just used the same title as seen in Martha's recipe.




Sesame Orange Shrimp
Recipe source: WendyinKK

1kg large prawns (unpeeled weight)
½ tsp salt
Generous dash of pepper
1 egg white
½ cup potato starch
1 cup oil for frying

1tsp grated ginger
1 tsp orange zest
75ml orange juice
1 Tbsp Lemon juice
1 Tbsp sugar
Pinch of salt
½ tsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp water

1 Tbsp of mixed black+white sesame seeds

1. Peel prawns, devein, drip/pat dry and marinate with salt, pepper, egg white and potato starch. Leave for 15 minutes.
2. Deep fry prawns in small batches using the 1-2 cups of oil. Drain and set aside.
3. Combine orange juice, lemon juice, sugar and salt. Separately combine cornstarch and water.
4. Put Tbsp of oil in wok/pan on medium low heat, and cook ginger and orange zest until fragrant.
5. Pour in the juice mixture and bring to a boil. Thicken to preferred consistency with cornstarch mixture.
6. Return prawns to wok/pan and give it a quick toss to coat.
7. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds and dish up.

*to toast small batches of sesame seeds, just cook them on medium low heat on a dry pan until they look puffed.



25 comments:

  1. The prawns must be full of orange flavour! This is sure to be very appetizing dish. It is about lunch time now and I am drooling looking at the prawns.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. These prawns look seriously delicious! I'm salivating just looking at the pictures. I can probably eat a whole plate of them for a meal or snack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i made orange chicken before but have yet to try with prawn. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prawn popcorn - once you pop, you can't stop. Haha!!! This is making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks super yummy! Love its bright colour. Just delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Orange chicken is my top favourite chicken dish. But I always prefer prawns to chicken (despite its cholesterol level) and with the combination of sweet soury orange sauce.... wow!! Don't wake me up, I'm already in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  7. seeing this now, i suddenly feel like making orange fish fillets..hmm..maybe one of these days..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe I should try this too. It looks delicious...slurrrp!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am drooling over your prawns dishes! They are simply my favorite besides crabs! This looks so delicious! Bookmarking this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow....beautiful dish! Love the colour with the orange around it. I love prawns. I think I will eat half and the rest can share the other half...hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Wendy, your prawns dish look really awesome. Beautiful presentation too. :)

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its dinner time here and these beautiful orange prawns are just what I would like.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i am always curious about fruit juice and savoury dish- i think you paired this with prawns very well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautifly served!
    I must admit I always envy the possibility to buy fresh seafood:)


    Life and travelling
    Cooking

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your prawn...err shrimp dish looks delish! This is one popular american chinese dish. The first time i came across the term shrimp in their menus, i was like, err this dish sounds interesting but i dont want small prawns, want it with big ones!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lite Home Bake,
    Haha....and I think the term prawn is foreign there, right?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wendy, what a colourful & delicious dish! Yes, going to try this in the future! Whenever the Australian banana prawns are on sale, I'll buy 1 kg & store them in my freezer, still have 1 kg unpacked, thinking of making another dish earlier, now I've to decide as to which comes first, both recipes requires frying!

    The winter oranges are very sweet & since winter is just a month away, we can buy very sweet & fresh oranges these days at a cheaper price! This is another reason I put a thumbs up for this dish! I like to browse on Martha Stewarts's recipes, made a simple salad to go with a roast dish, going to post in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Wendy, tried this delicious dish yesterday too and the children just love it ~ got 10 marks out of 10 ;) Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kah Chin,
    Great to hear the perfect scoring!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi wendy, I tries this dish last night. The taste is superb. However I didn't hv potato starch to coat the prawns and ended up using cornstarch. The prawns didn't have much of a batter for coating the orange gravy. But my kids love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...