New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Osmanthus Scrambled Egg 桂花炒蛋


No there is not osmanthus flowers in here, so don’t be excited about using up your osmanthus in your fridge :)
It’s the looks of this egg dish that resembles osmanthus flowers, yellow, small and loose in a pile
Usually one can find this in the appetizer dish of Chinese banquets, but that is made with shark fins and crab meat… There is this Chinese saying, about a poor man will take bean vermicelli and treat that as sharkfins, 粉饰当鱼翅. So, here is my rendition of Pauper Osmanthus Scrambled Egg, with bean vermicelli and filament crab sticks :)

Just an estimation of amount, I didn’t plan to blog about this, so I didn’t weigh the ingredients in the beginning.


½ red onion, thinly sliced
½ red chilli, deseeded and cut into long strips
1 small carrot, peeled and finely julienned
1 piece of wood ears fungus, soaked to become as big as my palm, and thinly sliced
4 pcs filament crab stick, sliced lengthwise
1 cup water
Salt and pepper
Some mung bean vermicelli (soaked, about 1/3 cup, snipped much shorter)
2 sprigs spring onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
2 eggs

1. Heat wok on high heat and put in 3 Tbsp oil. Make sure wok is hot!!!!
2. Put in onions, stir for 5 seconds, then chilli for another 5 seconds.
3. Then carrots, wood ear fungus and filament crab stick. Stir fry for 15 seconds.
4. Put in water, bring to a boil, season with salt and pepper. Taste it and adjust.
5. Put in vermicelli and let it cook until 1/3 of original liquid is still visible.
6. Put in eggs and spring onions and toss everything until it dries up.

The timing of when you put in the eggs is crucial. The end product should taste moist, but look dry.


30 comments:

  1. Very colorful and looks very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, this is the dish that I can definitely finish one big plate by myself, looks so colorful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy...this looks great. Will try it out for sure. But how you cook the egg to get that texture :) small loose bits I mean :) Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow its so colourful :D haha i got excited about the osmanthus part ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, looks very much like the one serving in the restaurant. So pretty and appertizing! Well done, Wendy. You did it again. Hope you're enjoying your day.
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! looks beautiful. Bookmarked!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks very colourful and delicious. Love your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow very colourful! I like this dish. It is usually found in the cold dish of wedding dinner but nowadays I hardly this dish being served as part of the cold dish.

    When making this I like to add bean sprout as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice.. i love to eat this during chinese banquet..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy Koh,
    Thanks


    Jess,
    Oh yes, this can be a meal on its own.



    Elin,
    When you add in the eggs, there will still be "water" in the wok, it's like when you add eggs to instant noodles soup, the eggs will be in bits easily.

    ReplyDelete
  11. grub,
    Oh, so that shows you have interest in the osmanthus flowers, wait, I've got another post scheduled, and that recipe uses dried osmanthus flowers



    Kristy,
    Thanks



    Anncoo,
    Hope you like it and I'd love to hear some feedback please.

    ReplyDelete
  12. MaryMoh,
    Thanks, it's just an added celery green for garnish ;)



    CookBakeLove,
    Yeah, used to be widely served in wedding banquets, and much lesser seen nowadays.
    The versions I ate never contained bean sprouts, but feel free to add in if you like it that way.



    Swee San,
    My fav during banquets too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can imagine the wonderful texture of this lively dish! Yummy! Thanks sharing this, will surely try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. From the title I thought you put osmanthus flowers in this dish. I actually like this dish a lot. I don't mind eating this everyday. By the way I found the dried osmanthus in New York. I already cooked something with it and will be posting it up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bee,
    Great!!! I hope your family will love this dish.


    Gert,
    I can't wait to see your osmanthus dish :)
    My MIL also bought some super fragrant osmanthus from SF. Better than those that I've got here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great as a starter dish! I love this too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Wendy

    i laughed when i read the introduction. cause that is exactly what i was thinking ie this is one way to use the osmanthus that is in my fridge for ages! btw, how long can i keep them for?
    thks
    octopusmum

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't think that I could ever make this, but I love looking at the photo. It just looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Busygran,
    Yayaya. But also good as a dish with rice.


    Angie's Recipes,
    Thanks


    Octopusmum,
    Hahaha!!! I don't know, but as long as your osmathus flowers are fragrant and not mouldy, they are fine to use.


    Grace,
    A stir fried Chinese egg dish, a dish that I'd rate a 6/10 for difficulty. It's just the timing here that's crucial.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wendy thanks for sharing. I tried out the recipe earlier thumbs up! My next to do list will be your easy creamy curry chicken. =P.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Wendy,

    This dish looks really like it came right out of the restaurant kitchen. Definitely 色香味具全, even though I cannot smell it. But I do get hungry looking at it, haha.. You provide me with lots of inspiration when it comes to cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looking at the picture, I feel like digging out the pile of colourful scrambled egg and have big mouthful. :P

    ReplyDelete
  23. FATMUM,
    Oh great! Glad to know you liked this.



    Bakertan,
    I'm glad you get ideas with Chinese cooking from my blog, and it works both ways.. I like your blog too.


    Aimei,
    Hahaha, oh please mind your manners and eat like a lady!!! hahahaha. Joking ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. 做得有如五星级餐厅般,很吸引喔!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. attractive colors..i tried this today and it was yummy!!
    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi wendy,

    really thanks for sharing this. i was searching for this recipes but couldn't find it cos dun know what's the name. will try it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such an attractive piece of art! Made this and it's awesome! Thanks for the great recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...