New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Friday, April 16, 2010

Palm Sugar Chiffon Cake


I know I may not have invented this palm sugar chiffon cake, but this is my own version, adapted from Alex Goh’s chiffon cakes. Palm sugar or Gula Melaka Chiffon Cake.

This cake is rather sturdy, I’d say. I was away when this cake finished baking. I forgot about time.
When I came back, the oven was off, and luckily the chiffon cake stood still in its pan. I quickly inverted it. That’s why I have that dense line in the middle of the cake. If I did invert it immediately, it will have a perfect texture.

The gula Melaka smell isn’t that strong, coconut milk smell also seem sublime. If I don’t tell u that this is made with palm sugar and coconut milk, I don’t think u’d be able to guess. But Mike's relatives loved this and found this to me very aromatic. Different noses.. maybe I sniffed this cake to much while handling it, I was numbed by it. But whatever aroma it exudes, it has overpowered whatever eggy smell that high egg content cakes have. So, it’s still ok.

I will make this again.

Palm Sugar Chiffon Cake Recipe
4 egg whites
1/8 tsp salt
½ tsp cream of tartar
80gm sugar

4 egg yolks
2 Tbsp corn oil
200ml coconut milk
100gm palm sugar, cooked on low heat with 50ml water until dissolved.
150gm cake flour
1/3 tsp sodium bicarbonate

1. Preheat oven at 180/170(fan)C.
2. Combine cooked palm sugar with coconut milk. Set aside
3. Combine egg yolks with oil and half of (2).
4. Sift half of cake flour and sodium bicarb over (3). Mix well with a wire whisk.
5. Sift remaining cake flour and sodium bicarb over batter and mix. Whem mixture is all smooth, put in remaining (2).
6. In another clean bowl, beat egg whites with sugar until frothy. Add in Cream of tartar and beat until stiff. Add in sugar gradually and beat until really stiff.
7. Fold ¼ of beaten egg whites into (5), fold.
8. Repeat step 7.
9. Pour the whole batter into remaining egg whites and fold to combine.
10. Pour batter into a tube pan and bake for 40mins.
11. Invert immediately after removal from oven. Leave to cool overturned completely before removing from mould

Malaysian Palm Sugar or Gula Melaka, dark and aromatic.

18 comments:

  1. This one looks so good, i am so going to try this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love chiffon cakes! This one looks so airy and smooth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My girl loves ciffon cake, but we never tasted the palm sugar flavoured ciffon cake... very interesting! Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I normally go nuts over any dessert with gula melaka. Yummers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there!

    I'm not a chef or a baker but I know what good food is! This Chiffon Cake, perfectly rounded and just by the look of it, I know it tastes good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sushi girl,
    Hope to see your cake soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angie,
    I know you love chiffons :)

    Alice,
    Do try this out, it's lovely. Your girl will love this.

    Half Crazy,
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is difficult taste… I am confused with the steps (jump jump jump)
    Maybe I go to buy easy la : P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah Voon,
    It's not that difficult once u know how to make chiffon cakes. The steps are basically the same.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful chiffon cake! I have not made chiffon for quite a while now. Now you've tempted me to find something to bake...:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shirley,
    Can't wait to see your next chiffon cake

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Wendy, just to let you know that i borrow some of your picture for my entry. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Izni,
    May I know which are those?
    Please link the source of the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, wendy, if i dun have cream of tartar, can i omit?cake flour can be substituted with other flour ?

    sorry that i m so troublesome...hard to find some of the ingredients overseas

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous (pls leave a name)
    In UK, I think it's called Extra Fine Flour, Sainsbury has it. Well, it's just how strong flour or bread flour or high protein flour is being used interchangeably. If not, u select the plain flour with the lowest protein content, 9% will be ok.

    You can use lemon juice or vinegar if you don't have cream of tartar. 1tsp will be sufficient.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Wendy,
    May I know where you bought yr palm sugar. The one is bought before is not as dark as yours. Does darker means the palm sugar is purer?
    Also, may I know whether I need to refrigerate gula melaka?
    Thanks.
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Wendy, after I finished step 5, I found that my mixture is very watery although I already follow your instruction. May I know what is my mistake? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi wendy,

    May i know what is the size pan that u use for this recipe?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...