New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, May 5, 2008

Red Bean Spiral Pau 红豆螺旋包



The first time I saw this type of pau is in Subang SS13 Pasar Malam, where an aunty sold it as Fuchow pau. Then I saw it again from a coffee shop in Kampar, and it’s a franchised pau called Langkap Pau.

I made this in smaller portions, not as big as theirs because my wok is not that big.

Pau Skin Recipe
A) 500gm pau flour (low gluten flour)
100gm sugar
¼ tsp salt

B)250ml warm water
1 sachet dry yeast
1 tsp sugar

50gm shortening (melted, but not too hot)

Filling
2 cups of sweetened red beans (I made red bean soup the other day, and I boiled extra beans, scooped out 2 cups of beans, cooked to a thick paste in a wok with 1 Tbsp oil and ½ cup sugar)

2 Pieces of A4 paper, cut into 3 pieces each, and used only 5 out of the 6.

Method:
1) Mix B together and wait for the mixture to froth.
2) Mix A together. Pour B in.
3) Knead until it becomes smooth and doesn’t stick to the side of the mixing bowl.
4) Pour in melted shortening, and knead until the oil is fully incorporated. (It may seem to be very oily, but don’t worry, just knead)
5) Shape into a ball and cover mixing bowl with cling wrap and let sit until dough has doubled. (I knead in a pot, so I just cover up with the pot lid)
6) Punch down and knead. Divide into 5 X 180gm balls.

Assembly:
1. Roll 1 piece of dough into a rectangle about 6” X 8” in between 2 pieces of plastic sheets with the wider side towards you.



2. Remove upper plastic sheet and spread 3 Tbsp of red bean filling onto dough, leaving some space on the edges.



3. By using the lower plastic sheet, roll the dough, swiss roll style or sushi style.



4. Place dough roll with seam side up and fold the ends in.


5. Overturn dough again and place onto a piece of cut up A4 paper.



6. Let sit for 30 minutes and steam on high for 10 minutes.
7. Let cool slightly before slicing pau.



***
To store, keep pau whole. Slice pau before reheating.

8 comments:

  1. I have never tried Pau, probably because I have never come across it. This looks beautiful though!

    Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by.

    Pau is Chinese Steamed Buns. The more famous pau or bao (as written sometimes), is Char Siu Bao(BBQ pork buns), which can be easily found at Chinese restaurants, especially Dim Sum shops. I think it should be available at your nearest Chinatown. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. if 1 sachet dry yeast i replace with instant yeast.how many gram do i need?


    oilai

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oi Lai,
    U buy the 11gms pack instant yeast will be fine.
    Actually hoh, I used Mauri Pan instant yeast, but I still froth it as an insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Wendy,
    would there be a difference if I used vegetable oil or butter instead of shortening?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Esther,

    I suggest you use butter instead.
    I don't quite like buns made with vegetable oil.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Wendy

    Can I know did you knead it by hand? I don't have a mixer to knead, can I use hand? How long should I knead the dough?

    Thx for your reply

    ReplyDelete
  8. Della,
    It could take anywhere from 10-20 minutes by hand. Depending on your motion and the amount of dough you work with, lesser amount will be quicker.
    You have to gauge by looking at it. Pau dough is easier to knead than bread. Pau dough is ready when the dough looks smooth.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...